Completely frustrated with the variety of cheese available in India, I set out to create my own. It was surprisingly easy and the outcome is damn yummy 🙂
- 400 grams yogurt
- Cracked pepper (to taste)
- Sale (to taste)
- 1 dry red chilli, finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp. thyme
- 1/8 tsp. parsley
- 1/8 tsp. rosemary
Clean muslin cloth, handkerchief size will suffice
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl
- Pour it into a very fine sieve, and press to get as much water out as possible (optional)
- Add the yogurt mixture on the muslin cloth, and make a bundle.
- Keep tightening the bundle to get as much water out
- Hang the entire muslin cloth bundle, with a bowl below to catch the dripping water. I hung it for about a day, tightening the bundle as the water dripped out
- Allow it to hang for between 12 – 24 hours. Length of time till determine the hardness of the cheese.
- Remove from muslin cloth
- Optional: If not serving immediately, drizzle some olive oil on it to keep it moist until consumed later
The possibilities are endless! One could mix all kinds of wonderfulness into this mixture. I am thinking of trying a orange zest and ginger cheese the next time around.