I had a most wonderful time at SXSW this year. It was a phenomenal being surrounded with so much buzz and intelligence. I realize I made a huge mistake by showing up on Sunday afternoon, damn it .. the sessions on Friday & Saturday were awesome.
Top aha ideas
- Detailed wireframes are dead. Instead lo-fi wireframe and move to mockup/prototype stage. This was a view that was shared by many of the sessions
- Gamestorming & 6-8-12
- Firm center – soft periphery
- Think of the elevator pitch in sections.. miss a beat, skip to the next section
Notes to self
From various talks, in no particular order…
- Be a listenoholic
- There’s no wrong answer
- Being surrounded by super smart people is phenomenal
- Simplicity is in – not a new view, but was happy to see it reiterated!
- Design for different media – your users are everywhere
- Iterate, iterate, iterate!
- Feedback, feedback, feedback. Knowing how to ask for feedback & giving it is equally important
- Design & code for good is good! Since then I have explored both Code for America & Design for America – both meaningful ventures.
- Typography obsession is still in, and Helvetica is still in too (I am quite certain it was the most frequently used font on the presos)
- Wear comfy shoes
- Plan the sched ahead of time – this was a huge dilemma since they were so many wonderful powerful sessions
- The most popular session is not always the best
- Go the after party .. but always go with friends
- The “Damn, why I didn’t think of that” is still a beautiful thing. Live & learn.. live & learn.
- I am useless “swag-getter”.. one bandana & a lot of paper is all I got.
- Hot sauce is good – in food & in your app 🙂
- Don’t go for a session if you’ve read the book.
- SXSW site & calendar suck! They must do something about it.
- SXSW needs to go more green – less paper please!!
- Do more bonding with engineers on my team!
My top moments
- Meeting Anthony Bourdain.. actually I should say accosting him for a photo while he had his morning coffee.
- Meeting Austin Powers – o yeah baby
- Hanging with my buds Brett & Dave and eating fusion burritos every day.
- My favorite text message – “Dude, no tofu!”
- Being in the same space with my heroes like Krug, Zeldman, and more!