Tried out a new recipe today, modified from this version here: http://fastindianrecipes.com/lauki-ki-sabzi/2009/06/05/. Came out well, and that’s not just my word 🙂
- 1 Lauki (bottle gourd), cut into long, thin strips. I sliced the Lauki (Bottle Gourd) lengthwise into 6 pieces and then cut them into long thin strips.
- 1/2 tsp Jira (cumin) seeds
- 1/4 tsp asofetida powder (optional, though a nice touch!)
- 3- 4 red whole red chillies
- 1 1/2 tsp Jira powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs. oil
- Add oil, when hot – add the cumin seeds & red chillies.
- When cumin seeds begin to sputter add canned tomatoes.
- Then add the asofetida, cumin powder, and chilli powder.
- Cook on high heat, constantly stirring until the break down partially (about 5 minutes).
- Add the lauki, reduce heat and cover.
- Open occasionally and stir so it does not catch at the bottom. A sprinkling of warm water may be required.
- Cook until lauki is tender
… and voila
This could probably work with some other veggie, maybe potatoes 🙂